We can not say that QTP is a complete Tool even when it has crossed lot of releases. This is due to the fact that Test automation tools are complex to develop.
So, members of a Testing group had a discussion about things that need to be done in coming releases of QTP. I have mentioned below requirement in this discussion.
Allow QTP Script execution while minimizing it so that we need not have separate machine for test script execution.
Find below the requirements collected from others during this discussion. Most of the people want to have the ability for opening multiple tests at a time.
- Provide better support for Ajax
- Provide better support for remote test execution from Quality Center
- A way to inherit test/action resources.
- Better browser support. Support for non-IE browsers such as Chrome and Safari
- Need easy license management
- A better coding/IDE environment with better intellisense, code folding, better debugging (ability to see object contents)..
- Better version control. Being able to check out previous versions of a test.
- Shared code libraries in QC. i-e ability to save in a common library share that all projects could use.
- Use an object orientated scripting language instead of or in addition to VB script
- Embed the object spy in the browser similar to firebug for firefox
- Ability to replace object repository with other repositories such as MySql Database
- Reduce the cost. Selenium is evolving and is eating up market share because its free
- Scripts should be able to run on a locked computer.
- Add ability to right click on web browser object to spy on it
- Ability to open more than 1 script at a time
- User should be able to attach encoded functional library (I.e. .vbe extension file).
- Ability to “pause” a run in order to edit a script during execution of multiple iterations
- Support for FLASH/FLEX Applications.
- Expose runtime engine as an API so we can start using languages other than VBScript.
- Simple and cleaner uninstall process
- Improved support for distributed parallel scalable execution (cloud/VM) with reporting concatenation.
- Enhanced function libraries especially database operations
- More descriptive error messages rather than “Generic Error” message.
- User should be allowed to Export selected portions of Reports
- Ability to see the partial report when the script execution continues